Putting Your Best Face Forward Without Acne
It was an inevitable right of passage that many of us wished would pass us by: Acne.
It’s the most common skin condition in the United States and nearly everyone has woken up to a horribly timed blemish in a spot that’s nearly impossible to cover properly. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to know the best way to protect against acne, as there are misinformation and myths about what causes pimples, how to prevent them and how to treat them as far as the eye can see.
It’s also not just for teenagers anymore: More adults, especially women, are fighting acne breakouts as they reach their 30s, 40s and even 50s.
Dermatologists and skincare experts agree: Acne happens when pores are clogged by dead skin cells lodged in place by sebum, an oil that keeps our skin from drying out. The cells are then trapped deep in the skin and, if they come in contact with a type of common bacteria that also live on our skin, a blemish appears.
Some advice to prevent this from happening at any age:
- Wash twice a day, three times if you’re very active and sweating. This will help keep skin clean and clear and will prevent the bulid-up of dead skin cells and oils.
- Use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser and apply it with your fingers. This kinder, gentler approach prevents the skin from being subjected to additional damage.
- Use gentle products. Harsher ones will strip away the oils that your skin needs to look healthy and bright.
- Don’t scrub! Being too aggressive in your skin cleansing can actually spread acne and make it worse.
- Use lukewarm water when washing your face. Too hot and it will dry your skin out.
- Don’t touch! While it might be tempting, picking, popping or squeezing a blemish might make it look worse, plus it will likely take your skin longer to hear from the aggressive treatment.
- Be sure to regularly wash your sheets and pillowcases. A build-up of oils and skin cells on materials that frequently come in contact with your face for long stretches of time can lead to more breakouts.
The professionals at The Skin Center at Southgate Medical Group are ready and eager to help you address your acne, with a full line of treatment and products that can give you clean, clear, bright skin, including:
- Microdermabrasion is an exfoliation method that removes the top layer of skin and stimulates the layer underneath to improve collagen and elastin production, leaving skin healthier and with better tone and feel. Microdermabrasion can also decrease pore size, reduce blackheads and white spots, and it cleans the skin’s follicles, further keeping pores free of dead cells and oils for healthier skin and fewer breakouts.
- Chemical peels can remove dead skin cells while boosting collagen production and stimulating the growth of healthier, clearer skin. Salicylic acid and Pyruvic Acid are one of many types that can be used especially for acne-prone skin to reduce clogged pores and oily skin.
Southgate Skin Center also offers a full line of products to help keep skin clear and beautiful, including
- Glytone Acne Line
- Clean-AC Cleansing Cream
Give our skin care experts a call and say so long to blackheads, pimples, and blemishes. They’ve given you enough bad days; now it’s time to ensure good days with great skin!